Thursday, May 14, 2009

Fish in coconut gravy..!!

Fish is an indispensable item in Kerala menu. It comes in the form of either fish fry or fish curry or both in every household. Nothing is so sumptuous than a steaming cup of rice with fish curry and fish fry to accompany.

So the recipe for the day is Fish curry (Fish in coconut gravy). You can use any fleshy fish for this recipe. My favourites are Thilapia and Mahi mahi.. Generally fish curry is prepared in an earthern pot in Kerala which adds a unique flavour to the dish.

Ingredients You need
Fish (Mahi mahi/Thilappia/Mackerel/King Fish/Smelt)
Tomato(small)-1no
Green Chillies - 2 nos
2-3 pieces of Gambooge (Kudampuli)
Oil
To Grind
Coconut - 3/4 th of half piece
Chilly powder - 1 tblspoon
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Shallots - 2nos
Garlic - 2 nos
Ginger - oru piece (small)
To season
Shallots - 1 no
Mustard seeds
A sprig of Curry leaves
Red chillies - 2 nos

Preparation:
  • Clean the Cambooge pieces in running water and soak them in luke warm water.
  • In a mixer put all the ingredients to grind and 1/4 cup water and grind it to a thick paste.
  • Now in a pan loosen this thick paste by adding some water.
  • Add the fish pieces to this gravy and boil it in a low flame.
  • Add the cambooge soaked water (along with the cambooge) to this and stir well.
  • When it boils add the chopped tomato pieces and the slit green chillies
  • Boil it in low flame for atleast 5 mins. If you want fish curry with thick gravy boil it for some more time. Make sure that the fish pieces are cooked properly.
For the seasoning:
  • In another pan heat some oil and when its hot add mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chillies and finely chopped small onions. Saute them well and pour this seasoning over the fish curry..

19 comments:

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Wow Renu, irresistable... When I saw thw name fish I was drooling the picture took me off my feet... Looks amazing!!!

Renuka said...

Thanks Ramya..Your comments are my inspiration :)

Pooja said...

Lovely creamy fish curry! Tempts me to have with rice now!

Renuka said...

Thanks pooja:)...

Priya Suresh said...

Wow fish curr makes me hungry Renu...just drooling here!

theUngourmet said...

This is right up my alley! I love these flavors together!

I am full from my dinner but I would still eat a bowl of this!

Lena Jayadev said...

hai renuka..that red bowl is lookin nice.. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the aromatic spices in the coconut gravy - wonderful to flavor the fish!

Gita Jaishankar said...

It looks so inviting....I have to to have your fish curry now :)

Irene said...

That looks yummy Renuka. Wonderful presentation too. Will give it a try soon

kittymatti said...

Renuka, this blog is fantasstic dear! The pic looks sooo good!

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

Hey renuka. Wonderful pic. I really really miss home when I see that curry. Beware! I may land on your doorstep without any notice if u make such yummy posts once again:)

Varsha Vipins said...

Oh..Thats an amazing fish curry Renuka..Loved everything about it n the bowl also..:)

Rush said...

great pics..im a veggie, but i guess can try it out for my hubby

Kana said...

Hi Renuka:
Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
I love seafood and this dish would be right up my alley.

Kalai said...

Colorful and creamy dish in a wonderful bowl.I'm hungry...:)

gtyuk said...

Mmmmmm, that's somebody from Kerala, your dish confirms :)

you've got a delicious collection of recipes here :)

fish gravy looks terribly good, the pot is lovely too!
and thank you for stopping by :) and for the comment!

Shabs.. said...

Hi renuka....this curry looks so good....and i was just going thru ur recipes, u have so many great collections here...looks like u stopped blogging....y dont u continue??....
Shabs...

kanishk said...

love the aromatic spices in the coconut gravy - wonderful to flavor the fish!

Work from home India