I got this recipe from one of my colleagues... In the first sight, I was kind of disappointed with the long list of ingredients and numerous steps.. But believe me...its easy to make and definitely worth it...
Ingredients You need :
For marinating Chicken
Chicken - 1 Full
Big onions 3nos (Finely Chopped)
Green chillies 20nos
3-4 curry leaves
Corianderpowder - 3tsp
Turmeric powder - 1tsp
Lemon juice -1tsp
Curd - 3tsp
Salt - To taste
For the spices powder
Basmati Rice - 4 cups
Oil - 3 tsp
Ghee - 1tsp
Jeera - a pinch
Water - as reqd
Biriyani masala - 1tsp (optional)
Big Onion 1no
Cashes and Raisins - as reqd
Ghee -2 tsp
- Heat all the spices (Cardamom, Nutmeg ,Cloves, Cinnamon) and grint them into a fine powder for the masala.
- Chop the green chillies, garlic and ginger in a chopper and keep aside
- Take chopped onion, tomatoes, crushed green chillies,garlic and ginger in a big vessel and mix thoroughly. Tomato juice should mix properly.
- Add chicken to this and mix thoroughly.
- To this add coriander powder , turmeric powder, lemon juice and curd and mix.
- Put one spoon of the ground spices powder to the marinade and mix well.
- Keep the marinade aside for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes take some oil in a pan and heat.
- When its hot add the marinated chicken to this and cook on low heat till the chicken is cooked. No need to add water.
- Wash rice and keep aside
- In a pan heat oil and ghee
- Add a pinch of ground spices powder and biriyani masala(optional) when oil is heated
- Add pinch of jeera
- Add double the amount of water for the rice to cook.
- Add some salt.
- When water boils, add the washed rice and keep on low flame till the rice is cooked and keep aside.
- Slice 2 big onions – very thin
- Add oil in pan and 1 spoon ghee. Fry cashew nuts and raisins and keep aside
- Deep fry the onions in same oil, till it become brown and keep aside(add pinch of salt for taste)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree
- In an oven safe container, spread a layer of chicken gravy.
- On top of that spread a layer of rice.
- Over that place a layer of deep fried onions, a pinch of spices mix, finely chopped coriander and pudina leaves, fried cashew nuts and raisins over the rice layer
- Pour the chicken gravy and repeat the layering process till all the rice is over.
- Close the container with an aluminium foil and keep in the oven for 30 mts.
Serve the biriyani with raita, pappad and pickle..
Check for more Biryani Recipes at Foodista..